MañanaCon is New Mexico’s tabletop gaming convention and welcomes all gamers. This means not only gamers who play games of all types, like board, role playing, miniature, and card games, but also gamers of all types.
We value inclusivity and MañanaCon will be a welcoming environment for all to play and have fun. New Mexico is a state of rich diversity, and our convention should reflect that diversity. Everyone deserves a safe, harassment free space to play their favorite games. This means creating a space where traditionally underrepresented groups in the hobby such as women, racial minorities, LGBT+, and religious minorities can feel safe and free of judgement. We want everyone to be respectful, feel respected and share in our common goal of playing our favorite games. Gaming is a great hobby, and everyone in New Mexico should be able to get on board (ba dum tss).
To keep the convention a respectful and fun place for all, we’ve put together a code of conduct that we expect our participants to abide by to ensure we all have a great time doing what we enjoy.
Behavior and Anti-harassment policy
In order for MañanaCon to be the convention we all want it to be, it must be:
Welcoming | When you are able to, welcome other people, invite them to game with you, and work together to make sure everybody is having a good time. We are all in this together, and making space for somebody who feels isolated can be the difference between them having a great convention and feeling like this hobby is not for them
Harassment-free | We are dedicated to providing a harassment-free convention experience for everyone regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of convention participants in any form.
All event participants are expected to behave in accordance with this Code of Conduct as well as all applicable laws.
What to do if you are subject or witness to a violation
If you have seen or were subject to behavior that violates this code of conduct, please first make sure that you and all others are safe. If you feel safe doing so, you may ask the perpetrator to stop the behavior, however you are under no obligation to do so.
All participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are required to stop immediately, without question, protest, or requests for explanation. “It was just a joke” or similar explanations are both dismissive of real issues and contribute to a hostile environment, and will not be tolerated. The best action in these situations is usually a quick apology and allowing the other party to drive the conversation. We all make mistakes; take this as a learning opportunity and move on.
If you wish to report a violation
- First, consider bringing a friend or another person who witnessed the incident to act as a second reporter as well as a support.
- Then, find a MañanaCon volunteer or staff member. If you do not immediately see one, there will usually be one at or near the registration desk.
- The staff member will find a convention organizer for you to make a formal report. The convention organizer will ask you a few brief questions. If you wish, you may request anonymity and your name and identity will not be disclosed to the offender, to con attendees, or to any non-essential convention staff members.
- The convention organizer will give you a timeline for a response, and will follow up with you to report the final outcome.
What happens when a violation is reported
The convention organizers will gather relevant information to the incident, including contacting the accused and allowing them to make a statement.
If the organizers find that a violation of the code of conduct has occurred, they will take any steps they believe are appropriate, including but not limited to
- A formal warning to stop the behavior
- Cancellation of in-progress or future games or events hosted by or participated in by the offender
- Single- or multiple-day suspensions
- Removal from the convention without refund
- Ban from future conventions
- Revocation of volunteer, host, or other leadership roles in the convention
- Reporting the behavior to the appropriate authorities
Warnings are not guaranteed.
Signs at the event will share contact information for our Code of Conduct team. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org or use our contact form (feel free to use fake credentials for an anonymous submission).
The MañanaCon Code of Conduct was adapted in part from the DrupalCon Code of Conduct, and is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/) and is available for others to use and adapt for their own events.